Thursday, October 05, 2006

{you and God}

a lesson i've learned and is stil learning...

from "Our Journey" by Crawford W. Loritts

Have you ever felt abandoned, as if you were all alone? One minister was accused of an awful sin, and circumstantial evidence strongly indicated that he was guilty. Although he continued to declare his innocence, few believed him. Day by day, his reputation and credibility were being eroded, but he held on to the fact that he and God would vindicate him. To make a long story short, God did vindicate him in a wonderful way, and people who had accepted the unfounded accusations were embarrassed.

This all points to the fact that there are those rare times in our lives when all we have is God and God alone. He sometimes allows us to be in isolated circumstances and trials to prove His sufficiency, to let us know and experience: "I'm all you really need."

I'm not saying that we don't need other people. We do need a support system. God has raised up the body of Christ to encourage one another, to build each other up, and to help us walk through the valleys of life. But as I read through the Bible and look to my own experiences and the experiences of others, there are those moments when God says, "I don't want other people around you. I want you to face this heat and to look to me and me alone to get you through it." Sometimes we tend to rely more on our man-made support systems than we do on God.

In 2 Timothy 4:16-18, Paul tells us what to do when we're isolated. first, don't cave in to bitterness and an unforgiving spirit. Second, allow God to strengthen you. Run to Him. He has everything you need. Third, trust Him to deliver you. God can redeem the situation.

We need the support of others, but ultimately, God is enough.

2 Timothy 4:16-18 (The Message)

16-18 At my preliminary hearing no one stood by me. They all ran like scared rabbits. But it doesn't matter—the Master stood by me and helped me spread the Message loud and clear to those who had never heard it. I was snatched from the jaws of the lion! God's looking after me, keeping me safe in the kingdom of heaven. All praise to him, praise forever! Oh, yes!

Seeking: Father, my sufficiency is in You alone. Thank you for the trials that press me to your heart. You are all that I need.

No comments: